Skip to main content

Game of Thrones Series Finale -" The Iron Throne"

I get emotionally attached to shows I really love and my obsession with Game of Thrones has been at an all time high for years. You only get to see very few shows that are so well done with perfect attention to details and Game of Thrones is THAT show! Season one to seven was a thrilling ride and waiting for the final season felt like torture. So much was slated to go down this season and I was ready to see who was finally going to seat on the throne. From The Night King and his army to Cersei and Euron and Dany and her Dragons, there was a lot to squeeze into 6 super sized episodes. Season 8 started well and somehow, the final few episodes didn't leave me feeling excited. "The Knight of The Seven Kingdoms" was definitely my favorite episode this season. It was beautifully filmed and made me truly appreciate these characters we've come to know all these years. There was so much build up surrounding The Night King and his army and I was super hyped to see how it would go down but at the end of the episode, I had mixed feelings. Somehow I wish we got more of The Night King and I'm really hoping we get a more detailed backstory about The Army of The Dead and the Children of the Forest in the upcoming prequel(s).

I had (and still have) so much love for Emilia Clarke's Daenerys Targaryean and I fell deeper in love with her this season. Emilia Clarke really does her best work this season with her intense body language and facial expressions and I'm really rooting for her getting an Emmy. "The Bells" took a surprising turn when she literally burned down King's Landing to the ground and at first I thought these writers were insane for making her look like the bad guy so swiftly but I realized that It had been foreshadowed all along since the beginning of the show. Still, I felt like it was too sudden and rushed. Nothing made me feel more disappointed than Jaimie & Cersei's death. I really really wanted Cersei to have a really slow and painful death but I guess the writers had other plans. We really need to give it to Lena Headey. Even though she was evil, her character was loved by many because of how well she played it. The finale was bitter-sweet for me and even though I let out a considerable amount of liquid from my eyeballs, I still had mixed feelings. Do I have mixed feeling because most of my theories never became part of the story or am I just sad the show's ending?? Maybe a little bit of both.

At the end of the episode, I was left with so many questions I wish I could get answered. What was the point of revealing Jon's true parentage? Was it just to make Dany mad? How is the real heir to the throne banished to the Wall just to make Greyworm and his soldiers happy? His parentage was literally the biggest secret in the entire Westeros. Jon was tagged a bastard, had a tough childhood, was murdered and brought back to life only for him to be exiled to The Wall. He would have been the perfect king but it seems like the writers are hell bent on making sure they never give the viewers what we expect or what we think is the logical way to go. How is Bran the right ruler? He doesn't even believe he's still human and can't make proper conversations. Tyrion thinks he'll make a great king because he was pushed down from a tower. If we're going with who had a better story then we'll definitely be looking at Jon, Arya and Sansa. There's nothing exciting about Bran being the king. His character was very unsatisfying and somewhat irrelevant. He gave really annoying one liners with the worst being "Why do you think I came all the way?"
Really?

So why go through the trouble of telling Jon his true parentage when you knew all along you would be the one to take the throne?


What was really the point of banishing Jon to the wall? There were no longer threats North of the Wall so why didn't he just go back to Winterfell? If he voluntarily decided to go back to The Wall, then that would have been a different situation. Arya, Sansa and Bran's reactions to Jon's exile was very unexpected. I mean, these *siblings have been apart for years. One would think they would finally want to be together in one place (Winterfell) now that the war was finally over but no, Arya wants to discover the rest of the workd and Jon is okay with staying at The Wall with the wildings. He had Tormund and Ghost, so why won't he be okay. Right?? Will Jon really spend the rest of his days fathering no children???? It was really sad to see them go their separate ways again but I was consoled with the fact that Sansa was going to rule the North. That was literally the only satisfying scene throughout the entire episode.

Grey Worm murdered hundreds of people these past two episodes so what was stopping him from killing Jon on the spot instead of taking him prisoner? How did he know Jon murdered Dany since there was no body? Did Jon confess?? The last few scenes were a few weeks after the war so I'm still trying to understand how fully built houses appeared in Kings Landing. Jon stabbing Dany was supposed to be a much bigger deal than it was (even though I thought Arya would do it) but it lacked impact because of everything that led to that particular scene.

Ramin Djawadi never disappointed with the score and it felt more emotional this season. His score should be studied by upcoming composers because there's no other score like it! Every song gave me serious goosebumps with "The Night King", "The Long Night" and "Not Today" being my favorites. The cinematography this season was glorious to look at. It was so well filmed and you can't help but truly appreciate the crew and how much work they put into making 6 movie like episodes. The directing this season was flawless and it amazed me how they were able to make sure each character had something to bring to the table. Game of Thrones was a story of power but that symbol was destroyed by a very angry Dragon. It'll forever be one of the best TV shows created but I wish they took more time to give us a proper goodbye. I understand that they can't make everyone happy but the last two season felt super rushed and I wish the writers took more time to make things naturally unfold. It's the end of an era and I'll never forget moments like "The Red Wedding", Cersei's walk of shame and her burning of The Red Keep, Khaleesi burning the slave master, all the scenes with Ramsay Snow, Hodor and of course, Arya murdering the Night King. I'm still in awe of the magic that was created with Game of Thrones and I doubt they'll ever be anything like it.


Long Live Bran The Broken....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUITS: Season 6 finale

        The 6th season of suits has been quite an emotional one with Mike's would be wedding with Rachel, his going to Prison and Rachel's death row case. Death row cases can get really sad especially if the suspect is innocent which was the case of Leonard Bailey (Glenn Plummer) who was accused of murdering two people. After staying behind bars for 12 years, Leonard Bailey was finally exonerated with the help of Rachel and Jessica (Gina Torres). During this episode, a major character said goodbye to the show. Gina Torres decided to leave Suits to film another TV Show 'Catch' and it was quite emotional. This episode showed a different side of Jessica Pearson, she put her pro Bono case first before the firm and fought for the freedom of Leonard Bailey.          Gina Torres will no longer be a series regular and I was happy her character wasn't killed off like Will Gardner in the Good Wife, (I cried for two episodes straight) which means

Review- Who's The Boss (2020)

Directed by Chinaza Onuzo, "Who's The Boss" follows Liah (Sharon Ooja) , an Advertising Executive who struggles to climb the cooperate ladder while juggling her mean and vindictive boss Hauwa (Funke Akindele- Bello). She takes the advice of her best friend Jumoke (Ini Dima-Okojie) and enlists her friend Lekan (Blossom Chukwujekwu), a known play boy into posing as her boss but ends up falling for him. It doesn't get any more cliche than this. After watching the first teaser for the Inkblot comedy, I was a little intrigued and looked forward to seeing how they were going to pull it off but sadly, it fell short in more ways than one. The biggest issue I had was the lead character and the actress cast to play it. Ooja has been typecast and I thought seeing her as the lead would show us a different side to the actress but my perception of her acting skills are worse than before. There's nothing worth remembering about this story and her acting did nothing to el

Deepwater Horizon

Theatrical Release Poster Deepwater Horizon is a true life movie based on the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig on April 20, 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana. The movie starts with us meeting Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg), his wife Felicia (Kate Hudson) and their daughter. We also meet Andrea Fleytas (Gina Rodriguez) as she's dropped off at the heliport on a bike by her friend. Mike and Andrea meet one of their bosses, Mr. Jimmy (Kurt Russell) at the Heliport. They all board the helicopter and are taken to Deepwater Horizon. At the rig, there's a lot of talk and conversation about the condition of the rig. Caleb Holloway (Dylan O'Brien) and Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg)  The BP executive, Donald Vidrine (John Malkovich) doesn't support the tests ordered by Mr. Jimmy and some of the employees including Jason Anderson (Ethan Suplee), Caleb Holloway (Dylan O'Brien) and Andrea Fleytas (Gina Rodriguez) are also very concerned about