Skip to main content

Best TV Shows of 2019

There were so many amazing shows in 2019, from The Crown to Chernobyl to When They See Us and The Act, it was hard to make this list but these shows stood out for me this year and had so many unforgettable performances.

In no particular order, here are my favorite shows in 2019



FLEABAG (Season 2)
In my 20 something years on this planet, I've seen a lot of shows but I haven't seen a lot of shows that are as good as Fleabag. I've been obsessed with Phoebe Waller-Bridge ever since I saw the BBC Tragi-Comedy. So many emotions came with watching Fleabag. I laughed, cried, chuckled, gasped, etc and I was super sad at the end. I still don't understand how a show can be that good! Phoebe Waller-Bridge must be protected at all costs! The best thing about Fleabag was the way Waller-Bridge broke the fourth-wall. Her story telling skills in Fleabag are unmatched and I couldn't get over how perfect the cast was especially Olivia Coleman, Sian Cliffor, Brett Gelman and Andrew Scott,
I was really devastated at how it ended. I really wanted Fleabag to have a happy ending with the Priest but I guess that's never going to happen. All six episodes of the 2nd and final season should be kept in a Movie museum.
CHERNOBYL
Before watching HBO's Chernobyl, I never heard about the Chernobyl disaster and after doing a little research, I was looking forward to seeing how HBO was going to pull it off. At the end, I was in awe of how much they gave into making such a show and devastated at how many lives were cut short due to the incident. With just 5 episodes, Writer Craig Mazin and Director Johan Renecks showed us how a horrible incident became a million times worse due to incompetence. It was really hard to watch Chernobyl but it is undoubtedly one of the best Mini Series of 2019.

THE MORNING SHOW
Led by Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon, The Morning Show follows a news network and how they grapple with the firing of one of its lead anchors amidst a sexual misconduct scandal. Witherspoon and Aniston's chemistry was amazing and I couldn't get enough  of Steve Carrell. I loved how they gave us different perspectives, that  of the accused and the accuser. It also shed more light on the culture of silencing. Gugu Mbatha-Raw definitely stood out for me especially in the last few episodes. Everything about The Morning Show was perfect and I hope season 2 is as amazing or even better.
WATCHMEN
I had no plans to watch HBO's "Watchmen" but somehow I found myself getting hooked from the first scene. David Lindelof's (Lost, The Leftovers) take on DC's Watchmen is one of the best things I've seen on TV EVER! The pacing was perfect and the mysteries were revealed at the perfect time.
I never read the comics so I had no idea what I was getting myself into but it ended up being such an intense ride. One I'll never forget thanks to the amazing writing and cast which included Regina King, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Jeremy Irons, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Jean Smart and Hong Chau.
THE MARVELOUS MRS MAISEL (Season 3)
Anyone following my social media would know how obsessed I am with Amazon Prime's "Mrs Maisel". I was literally counting down to the third season and I was so bummed out when I finished it in less than 48 hours. Midge and Sussie are on the road touring with Shy Baldwin  and Midge struggles with the fact that she had to share Sussie with her enemy Sophie Lennon. Her parents Rose and Abe also encountered financial difficulty and had to stay with The Maisel's which was a total nightmare. This season had a few highs and a lot of lows and the characters dealt with a few disappointments. There's literally no show on TV like The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Amazing dialogue, fun characters and a story that'll never leave you bored.
UNBELIEVABLE
I avoided watching Netflix's Limited Series "Unbelievable" because of the heavy subject and the fact that it was a True Crime Series didn't make me feel better. I eventually summoned the courage to watch it and it left me shattered. Based on the true story of two detectives played by Toni Collette and Merritt Wever and how they came together to investigate and eventually arrest a serial rapist who had been raping young girls and women for years. Kaitlyn Dever (Booksmart) who is one of the shows lead did an amazing job with her character. This story is another one that'll leave you angry and sad especially when you think about what a lot of people go through when it comes to reporting a rape.
RUSSIAN DOLL
Starring Natasha Lyonne, I never thought I'd be so hooked on Russian Doll but the story was so fascinating and full of surprises. Just when you thought you knew what was going to happen next, something happens that'll leave you shocked and confused. Imagine getting stuck  in a time loop and getting killed on your birthday over and over again. Just like "Happy Death Day" but better!
WHEN THEY SEE US
The Central Park Five story is one of the most heart breaking stories I ever came across and watching Ava DuVernay's "When They See Us" really broke my heart.  Watching this Mini Series was really hard and I couldn't stop myself from crying non stop during specific episodes. It's a show that'll make you angry, heartbroken and sad at the same time. There were so many standout performances in "When They See Us" including Niecy Nash, Assante Blackk and Michael K. Williams but none evoked serious emotion than Emmy Winner Jharrel Jerome. His standout potrayal of Korey Wise is one a lot of people will not forget quickly. Read my full review of "When They See Us" HERE
MINDHUNTER (Season 2)
After waiting for two years for a new season of Mindhunter, I was more than satisfied with what we got which made the wait absolutely worth it. The season focused on the Atlanta Child Murders and Charles Manson. It also focused on the personal lives of the Detectives and how their jobs affected their lives at home. There were so many unforgettable scenes in this season and all the actors were amazing in their roles. The most unforgettable was Damon Herriman's portrayal of Charles Manson. The interview scene gave me serious chills and the accuracy was mind-blowing.


YOU (Season 2)
The first season of the Netflix Psychological Thriller was amazing but I was a bit worried about what they would do in season 2 and how similar it would be to season 1. The sophomore season was everything I hoped for and more. It picked up from the first episode and each episode made me so tense that I found myself rooting for the bad guy. I love the fact that we still got the stalker and serial killer Joe we had in season 1 but it had different twists attached to the plot especially in the final episodes. Penn Badgley once again killed it (no pun intended) and I can't wait to see what'll happen in season 3.
THE ACT
I never knew the story of Gypsy Rose and Dee Dee Blanchard and this Hulu Limited Series opened my eyes to a world I never knew existed. It was mind-blowing to watch how a mother would deliberately abuse her child mentally, physically and emotionally. I never had any doubts in Patricia Arquette and she didn't disappoint in her role as Dee Dee. She got everything right! I've seen Joey King in a number of films but I never expected her to kill this role as much as she did. She even went as far as shaving her head. It was also crazy how similar her voice was to the real Gypsy Rose. I watched a few clips from the real court case and I couldn't get over how much attention was paid to details. From the pink house to the outfits and the teddy bears, every thing was spot on. The Act explores the difficulties faced by a girl tortured for years by her Manchuse Syndrome by Proxy stricken mother. The Act was quite disturbing to watch and you'll literally get goosebumps especially when you remember that it's actually a true life story. Definitely a must watch and one of the best stories we'll see on TV this year. You can read my review of The Act HERE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUITS: Season 6 finale

        The 6th season of suits has been quite an emotional one with Mike's would be wedding with Rachel, his going to Prison and Rachel's death row case. Death row cases can get really sad especially if the suspect is innocent which was the case of Leonard Bailey (Glenn Plummer) who was accused of murdering two people. After staying behind bars for 12 years, Leonard Bailey was finally exonerated with the help of Rachel and Jessica (Gina Torres). During this episode, a major character said goodbye to the show. Gina Torres decided to leave Suits to film another TV Show 'Catch' and it was quite emotional. This episode showed a different side of Jessica Pearson, she put her pro Bono case first before the firm and fought for the freedom of Leonard Bailey.          Gina Torres will no longer be a series regular and I was happy her character wasn't killed off like Will Gardner in the Good Wife, (I cried for two episodes straight) which means

Review- Who's The Boss (2020)

Directed by Chinaza Onuzo, "Who's The Boss" follows Liah (Sharon Ooja) , an Advertising Executive who struggles to climb the cooperate ladder while juggling her mean and vindictive boss Hauwa (Funke Akindele- Bello). She takes the advice of her best friend Jumoke (Ini Dima-Okojie) and enlists her friend Lekan (Blossom Chukwujekwu), a known play boy into posing as her boss but ends up falling for him. It doesn't get any more cliche than this. After watching the first teaser for the Inkblot comedy, I was a little intrigued and looked forward to seeing how they were going to pull it off but sadly, it fell short in more ways than one. The biggest issue I had was the lead character and the actress cast to play it. Ooja has been typecast and I thought seeing her as the lead would show us a different side to the actress but my perception of her acting skills are worse than before. There's nothing worth remembering about this story and her acting did nothing to el

Deepwater Horizon

Theatrical Release Poster Deepwater Horizon is a true life movie based on the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig on April 20, 2010 in the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana. The movie starts with us meeting Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg), his wife Felicia (Kate Hudson) and their daughter. We also meet Andrea Fleytas (Gina Rodriguez) as she's dropped off at the heliport on a bike by her friend. Mike and Andrea meet one of their bosses, Mr. Jimmy (Kurt Russell) at the Heliport. They all board the helicopter and are taken to Deepwater Horizon. At the rig, there's a lot of talk and conversation about the condition of the rig. Caleb Holloway (Dylan O'Brien) and Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg)  The BP executive, Donald Vidrine (John Malkovich) doesn't support the tests ordered by Mr. Jimmy and some of the employees including Jason Anderson (Ethan Suplee), Caleb Holloway (Dylan O'Brien) and Andrea Fleytas (Gina Rodriguez) are also very concerned about